Philadelphia prosecutors announced plans Monday to retry an ousted priest on an attempted rape charge after a jury deadlocked on the case last month.
The Rev. James Brennan, 49, is accused of trying to rape a 14-year-old boy in 1996 at the priest's apartment.
Brennan has admitted in a church trial that he wrestled with the boy, slept with him and let him watch porn, according to trial testimony. But he denies molesting him.
"I feel horrible that all of this has to get ripped open all over again. It's like a wound that just started to heal," Brennan said outside the courthouse Monday. "Not just for me, but more importantly, ... my family and friends."
The retrial isn't expected until early next year because of scheduling issues, and may go before a different judge. Brennan returns to court Aug. 14 for a scheduling hearing.
"James Brennan used his position as a priest to prey upon and victimize this young man," District Attorney Seth Williams said in a statement. "It is extremely important that Brennan be held accountable for his crime, not just for his victim but for all victims of sexual abuse."
The Brennan charges were only a fraction of the broader case against Lynn, the first U.S. Catholic church official convicted for his handling of abuse claims.